Even if this is your 1st or 10th winter having a cottage, below are some helpful tips to keep in mind when closing your cottage for the winter:
- Inspect your septic tank – follow the manufacturer’s service recommendations and timelines.
- Keep sump pump pumping
- Turn off exterior faucets and drain your pipes – Turn off water supply and drain the pipes to prevent freezing/pipe bursting
- Clean gutter and add gutter guards
- Inspect roof and Repair loose shingle
- Keep pesky pests outdoors – Check for openings small animals
- Unplug major appliances – Keep in mind that turning off your entire power supply could cause your sump pump, exterior lighting and alarm system to stop working
- Turn heating down (or off) – Consider setting your thermostat to 10◦C to prevent frost build-up
- Get rid of fire hazards – Loose paper products (books & newspaper), old rags, chemicals and other items that could easily catch on fire.
- Clean out fridge and cupboards
If you have any questions or are looking for help with real estate – Feel free to reach out to our team. You can reach The Brad Sinclair Team at 705-927-6236 and firstname.lastname@example.org